Monday, October 19, 2009

A Great Leap Of Faith

After several months of dappling in the land of potty training, I have decided to take the great leap of faith this week. For months Christopher has shown interest in the potty. Awhile back I made it a part of his morning routine: breakfast, brush teeth, wash face, potty, get dressed. He'd have #2 successfully about 2-3 times a week, but with #1 we didn't have as much luck. Either way, he loves sitting on the potty, which he'll gladly do for over 30 minutes as long as I'm reading to him. The fact that he'll sit still for so long makes me think that this has to be half the battle. It gives me the confidence to move on. He just seems to like potty time so much. He shows other signs of readiness: holding his bladder for 2 hours, following directions, taking steps to independence, and we all know he's great in the communication department. So over the weekend, I took out books from the library on the topic, and stocked up on cotton training pants. I don't think we'll go the "Pull-Ups" route. This is mainly because I feel that our major roadblock to overcome is this "diaper barrier". With the safety of diapers catching the inevitable, it allows me to be lazy and confuses Christopher about when he is wet. So my approach is to rip it off like a band-aid. Starting Tuesday morning, no more diapers. I am putting us on house arrest and I will pay close attention to my little boy's bladder. I am prepared for a messy week, with lots of frustration. That's why I am blogging this. As long as its in print for you all to read, I have to go through with it. I may be too early, which is ok, we will try again at a later date. I just feel that lately Christopher is so amicable, willing to please and interested in this topic that if I wait too long, the "terrible two's" will rear its ugly head. Then I'll really kick myself for not taking advantage of a more prime situation. And I am just curious to see how it goes... wish us luck!

Here Christopher tries out his new potty seat. Its the kind that sits atop a toilet. He got a real case of the giggles while swatting at the shower curtain. Some things just really get him giggling and you never know what it'll be!

2 comments:

CaraBee said...

Sophie LOVED watching this video! She giggled and waved all the while he was laughing. It was so cute! Good luck with the potty training! The fact that he has #2ed on the potty is a good sign, since that is the one that most kids struggle with, I think.

Sarah and Kevin McClain said...

I just love that video- It makes me want to snuggle with him! He's such a wonderful little boy!