Thursday, July 24, 2008

"There's a baby on the loose!"

Psyching himself up for the momentous rollover.

Pardon the baby cleavage.

"I'm almost there!"

The Eagle has landed.

"Uh, what happened to my diaper?"
The sweetest face.

"I wonder if I could do that again?"


"This is easy now"


Wow! What a difference a day makes. Two Sundays ago Christopher rolled over for the first time. Then there wasn't any roll-over action for nearly two weeks, despite all our coaxing. Well, Sunday morning past, we wake up at Lulu's and Papa's only to find our little squirrel rolling over left and right. He did it twenty times. And everyday since, he has been rollin' and a scootin' and a rollin'. I swear in one 24 hour period the child has totally changed. I have heard many new mom's go through the same scenario: you deposit your little babe on the play mat in his room, only to return and find him missing! After a closer investigation you find that sneaky baby hiding under the crib or behind a chair. This happened to me this past Monday. What a shock it is to find your baby, not where you left him, but many feet away. It is the most incredible milestone yet: mobility. Along with this change comes his new array of vocalization. Riding in the car the other day, Ryan and I hear him talking, low and throaty, "oaaohh, errrah". He speaks it clearly and repeatedly with inflection in his voice. When we spy on him, we find him holding his teddy bear at eye level with both hands, carrying on his own conversation! I am continually amazed how children learn from us. This is the rudimentary beginning of his language. It is amazing to hear. Everyday since, we hear him talking, whether its in his crib in the dark or on his play mat on a sunny afternoon. All these changes I have noticed instantaneously. They catch me by surprise. I force myself to remember him months ago, fresh from the hospital, a tiny sleeping pink baby. Flash forward and now he is so big, capable of so many things that make me proud. All of this pleases and scares me at the same time. Where have these past five months gone?

3 comments:

CaraBee said...

Super cute pictures! Look out world, he's on the move!!

katienryan said...

He is cute, ain't he? Thanks. Yes, the world of mobility opens plenty of challenges. Look out.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kate, Because of you, Laura and Sarah I decided to start one of these, but am cracking up laughing because I can't figure out how to add you to mine!! I just now figured out how to sign w/o being anonymous! I'm so proud!! LOL!!!! so if you get this and can figure out how to get to mine, can you let me know either by that site or email??? Thanks!!! I have no idea what I'm doing!!! LOL!!!!