Monday, February 16, 2009

Big Boy Playtime

In the past few weeks I have instituted a new part into Christopher's daily routine. I call it "Big Boy Playtime". It goes something like this: Sometime in the afternoon I put the gate up in Christopher's doorway. I turn on his favorite Putumayo CD (thanks Aunt Laura). Then I sit with him and get him started in some play. I then tell him, "Ok Christopher, Mommy has some things to do, you have Big Boy Playtime, and I'll see you soon". Out I go, getting things done that are too difficult to do when he is underfoot. I return every few minutes to check on him, and I am always tickled to see him lost in some kind of play. He doesn't even notice me. Sometimes I laugh at what I see. Today when I peered in this is how I found him:

Yes, he put the hat on himself. Here he is just getting into the diaper cabinet.
"Ahh, the loot!"

"Let's see, I'll take a few of these, and a couple of these..."

And finally he sits down and plays with his loot. Notice the door is shut again? He always closes doors and drawers after getting his treasures. This way he covers his tracks.



Finally, he realizes he is busted.

3 comments:

CaraBee said...

That hat is absolutely adorable! What is it with kids and putting things on their heads?

Leah said...

too cute. The hat makes it 10 times cuter! lol. Congrats on encouraging independence and finding some time to do things yourself! I'm filing all these little pointers away for myself for later. :)

Anonymous said...

Toooooo cute!!!!!!!!! I think teaching him to be content with his own company is one of the greatest gifts you can give him!!! :)