Monday, June 8, 2009

Mr. Smartypants

****warning: brag session ahead****
Christopher had his 15 month checkup on Friday. He weighs 25lbs. He is the picture of health. But his doctor is most impressed with his language skills. She said he is more like a 2 year old than a 15 month old.
His vocabulary is exploding. This boy repeats everything. Sunday we decided to give him a haircut. I said "Christopher, Mommy is going to give you a haircut". Christopher replies back "haircut" then repeats it all day while he strokes his freshly shorn head. Last Friday we explained that he was going to visit Dr. Cox. He looks at us and says "Docta Cox". Today I was changing his diaper, and said "we'll go outside, but we need to change your diaper first, ok?" he responds "ok" in a tone that reflects mine. For the rest of the day all my requests were met with "ok". The list goes on and on.

He knows all his colors. Sometimes he struggles with a few, but he has named each color on his rainbow fish puzzle many times. The funny thing is, he won't answer a direct question like "what color is the grass?", instead he passively says colors of an object he is holding (almost like he is saying it to himself). He knows circle, square, rectangle, triangle, oval and diamond, although rectangle and triangle are tough for him to say.

Physically he is growing too. He loves to climb, as many toddlers do. Today I caught him making the move from the dining room chair onto the table. I have started teaching him how to mount his rocking horse, which the saddle is about chest high on him. He is so tickled with himself when he can do it, the look on his face is priceless. Also there is a stool in his room I let him play on, it ends up looking like baby step aerobics when I check on him. When he stands up he says "high" and when he steps down he says "low".
Often times he plays alone in his room. When I spy on him I sometimes find him sitting on the floor in front of his books, "reading" each one carefully before moving on to the next one on the shelf. I like seeing what he gets into when left to his own devices.

I guess this is enough bragging for one post. You may not hear from me in a while, we leave for vacation this Saturday and I have a lot to do!

No comments: